A Public Space offers internships throughout the year. To apply for one of these positions, please upload (as one file): (1) a completed application (see below); and (2) your résumé. Applications are considered on a rolling basis.
Interns work on a part-time, volunteer basis, and receive practical experience in critical reading, research, copyediting, and fact-checking; marketing and publicity, including social media and events; and an understanding of the general workings of an independent nonprofit literary organization as well as an introduction to the publishing community. A three-day/week commitment on a Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday schedule over a three-month period is required.
Please note that poetry, fiction, and nonfiction submitted to the magazine via this Submittable category will not be considered.
1. Send three separate paragraphs that are favorites, from three different books you have read.
2. List five magazines, newspapers, or websites you read regularly; and five publications you wish you read regularly.
3. Write three posts for A Public Space’s Twitter feed.
4. Tell us about your career interests and what you hope to learn from an internship with A Public Space.
5. Write one paragraph about a piece in A Public Space that has interested you recently.
6. Tell us about your experience (clerical/research/social networking/reading manuscripts, etc).
7. Are you available to work a Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday schedule; and if so, during what range of hours?