A Public Space welcomes submissions of fiction, essay, poetry, as well as multigenre work. For additional information, please see an interview with the editors on our Duotrope page; an article on Bette Howland, a recent contributor, here; and an archive of the magazine's previous issues here.
Guidelines for Submitting Work
Please submit only one (1) story or essay at a time; or up to five (5) poems. Additional submissions will be returned unread. Only previously unpublished work will be considered. Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but if your piece is accepted elsewhere we ask that you please withdraw it from our system. Novellas and novel excerpts are always welcome. Translations are welcome, but it is the translator's responsibility to secure rights to the work before it is submitted. Reading an issue or two of the magazine before submitting is strongly recommended.
We will make every effort to respond to your submissions within four months, though at times it may be longer. If it has been more than four months and you have not yet received a response, we will be happy to reply to a query regarding the status of your submission.
**Please note that positions for our 2018 summer internships have been filled. If you would like to apply for a fall internship, please note that in your cover letter.**
A Public Space offers internships throughout the year. To apply for one of these positions, please upload (as one file): (1) a completed application (see below); and (2) your résumé. Applications are considered on a rolling basis.
Interns work on a part-time, volunteer basis, and receive practical experience in critical reading, research, copyediting, and fact-checking; marketing and publicity, including social media and events; and an understanding of the general workings of an independent nonprofit literary organization as well as an introduction to the publishing community. A three-day/week commitment on a Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday schedule over a three-month period is required.
Please note that poetry, fiction, and nonfiction submitted to the magazine via this Submittable category will not be considered.
1. Send three separate paragraphs that are favorites, from three different books you have read.
2. List five magazines, newspapers, or websites you read regularly; and five publications you wish you read regularly.
3. Write three posts for A Public Space’s Twitter feed.
4. Tell us about your career interests and what you hope to learn from an internship with A Public Space.
5. Write one paragraph about a piece in A Public Space that has interested you recently.
6. Tell us about your experience (clerical/research/social networking/reading manuscripts, etc).